Saturday, June 5, 2010

Snowball Skate

(March 2)
It is Saturday night and I am in Detroit listening to live music. My attire has turned heads as I hoped it would. I am seated at a table for two right next to the band. Tonight I look impeccable and feel alone. When will someone choose me? Choose to spend time with me, to talk with me, to be with me. There are three people here tonight with whom I have some type of history and none of them are seated before me. I am writing this on a complimentary post card by the light of a small flickering candle on my table. I am reminded of elementary school when the skating parties would have the dreaded SNOWBALL SKATE!!! I remember standing with my back against the wall with all the other hopeful girls. I"d watch the boys skate round and round until it was time to choose a partner. "Pick Me!" Zooom, they'd go by in a flash! Here I sit. Memories float though my brain. I am faced with a conundrum (I like that word). As I listen to the music I don't know which direction to turn my attention. Here's the rub. One man, I like and have for years, and he does not want me. Doesn't even want a conversation with me. He barely even looks at me. One wants me. The feeling is not mutual. We tried that and failed. He had more than three major strikes that counted against him. The third man is someone I adore and he adores me, but he is not an option. So, here I sit. Couples all around, disco ball reflecting light, ad a stranger just asked to take my other chair (there goes my chance of a 'plus one' now!) Pick me. Choose me. They skate by leaving a breeze on my skin and a tear in my heart. My back against the wall, waiting, holding my breath as I am ogled by one, rejected by another, and cherished yet not available to another. A conundrum indeed! Here sit mentally beggin the announcer to shout ALL SKATE, ALL SKATE IN THE REGULAR DIRECTION.

No comments:

Post a Comment