Saturday, July 3, 2010

He didn't call me baby

There are very few things as sweet as hearing your name fall from the lips of someone you love. No two people say it the same way. And some people use variations on my name. For example, I have been called Jenn, Jen, Jennifer, Joy, JJ, Jeff, Tripple, and Miss Jackson. I have recently become annoyed at people who use terms of endearment before they have used some form of my name. Sweetheart, Honey, Darling are names that are used when the feeling you are feeling is so much stronger than that persons name can hold. Who takes someone seriously when they call you Hun before they even know your last name. I am just now realizing how much this offends me. In my opinion, it is extremely lazy. Call me, let me hear my name on your sweet tongue. When I hear 'Baby" I cringe. When I hear "Jennifer" I melt.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a fan of the pet names right away either. It seems like some people use them for EVERYONE. Every single person my father has dated in the last two decades has been 'baby'. How does he keep his 'babies' sorted? And, how do I fit in there? I'm his ONLY baby when it comes down to it!
    And, then, there's the whole idea of how pet names infantilize the receiver. How can a baby/doll/honey/boo be powerful and command full attention? You put dolls on a shelf and babies don't even talk.
    So, uh, yeah, I'm with you. I have a name. Please, use it.
    (Oh, and then you know the bit about how couples with similar names tend to stay married longer/happier than people with different sounding names? But, then, if people with different sounding names adopt similar sounding pet names, then they're more likely to remain married/happy, too)

    ReplyDelete