Thursday, April 8, 2010

Communication is Key

This is the first time in my life I feel like I am in a relationship with someone who gets it. Who knows how important communication is. I realize every time I try to handle a situation with someone that I get down and worried that a conversation will bring an end to the relationship. With this person, I feel like I can say what is on my heart and on my mind and I will be listened to, respected, and responded to. It really just makes the relationship that much deeper and stronger. I guess I have taught and thought that the first stages of relationships are supposed to be all shits and giggles. Goosebumps, daydreams, cheesy grins and no issues or drama on the horizon. That must be an urban legend because I have not seen one like that yet! The beginning of relationships has all that goodness involved, but also has a lot of getting to know you and and getting to know me and where are we apart in life and what are we together and when should we label what we have - what do we have? And all of these things can be discussed. This is what I am learning. You might have already known that, but I, the communication professor, am just learning that there are people who welcome your thoughts and have a healthy skill in communication.
It really is amazing that even one couple makes it ever. The idea that you have two different people from different backgrounds, experiences, baggage, friends, upbringing, spirituality and that they get together and fit?! We should celebrate every single match that lasts even a couple years. That is no small thing in my opinion. Most likely tainted by the fact that I have just now stumbled upon this kind of a connection. I talk to this person and feel at peace. I feel listened to, respected, loved and adored. There is so much understanding involved in relationships. Understanding the other person, their current situations (financial, spiritual, etc.), understanding yourself. This is the toughie for me cuz I thought I had it down. Seriously, I thought I had one thing down and that was communication. I thought I knew myself ever so well, what I need, my strengths, my weaknesses, my tendencies. I had no fucking clue. I am just now realizing exactly how much I analyze. I think and think and over think a sentence, phrase, action, joke, my thoughts, or my feelings. I am so thankful to my girlfriends for their help in this area. They know that I respect their perspective and they let me know. Jennifer, you are over thinking this...don't be so black and white... lay off yourself. I thought I knew me. I even had a mock fight with someone a year ago telling him that I knew myself and that I was ready to settle down in a serious relationship. He said, I don't think you know yourself well enough yet. I fought it down until he simply said, time will tell. Well, my friend, time has told me that I don't know shit. But I am certainly excited to have someone in my life who allows me to be me, encourages me to speak my heart, loves and respects my thoughts and feelings. As I posted as m facebook status a week ago: " It is so wonderful to feel loved, liked, adored and appreciated. And to reflect those feelings back into an open mind and open heart - it's a beautiful thing."

1 comment:

  1. I thought there was supposed to be 3 posts? Well this one though is long enough to be 2 almost!! I am much happier to read this one then the very last post...what a difference!

    I am so glad that you have found happiness! You deserve it:o) It is the greatest feeling in the world to meet someone and just know that you "click".

    Your blog is so fun! Can't wait until the next post!

    (PS I found the Intro but I couldn't find the warning)

    ReplyDelete