Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Attention Whore

Yes, I said it, Whore! If my language offends you, please close this window because it could very well turn with not even a moment's notice. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
I am a certifiable, self-diagnosed attention whore. If you look the word up in your online dictionary, you'd see this: at*ten*tion: uh-ten-shuhn; whore: hawr, hohr or, often, hoor (n)-definition- jen*niff*er jack*son. There is a very good chance that a better phrase would be attention addict, but that's not as fun! I have realized that I devour the attention that I receive from each and every person I meet online, even the creepy ones in a weird way.
Let me explain so you understand. I am on four online dating sites, mostly for research (wink wink). As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have met around 100 men. During the summer, I would wake to find my phone filled with good day wishes from my guys. Anywhere from one to seven messages every day! Good morning! Good morning godess! Hey sweety! Have a good day! What a way to start the day. I would roll over, grab my phone and start returning texts. Hey there! Hey sweety! Good morning handsome! Hey there sexy!
Sometimes, that would be the only exchange until the evening when they would bid me goodnight. Good night sweety! Good night sexy! So forth and so on. Every day, all day texts, texts, texts. Asking how my day was? What I was up to? What I was cooking? I simply love this part of the dating scene I'm in. All these men asking about me and talking to me every day?! I DRINK THIS SHIT IN!!! I had to go through mental detox in order to allow my feet to settle on the dry, brittle ground of reality. When the texts started slowing down I began to panic. Where are my men?! Why has no one told me good morning? What is happening here?! And then, they start up again little by little. Ahhhhh! Even today, I received a text from a man I've 'known' for months. According to my records, we started talking July 5. I actually don't remember if we have had an actual voice conversation. Almost every morning, he greets me with a good morning text. For the first few months it was "Good morning sweety!" Then, like with every type of relationship, he got lazy. After that, the texts read "GM sweetie" or "GM beautiful". Hmph, gm? GM? This is the only exchange we have and you can't even spell out Good Morning?! I did text him one day asking why it is that we never talk when we seem to have so very much in common. The answer I received the following morning was GM sweety.

2 comments:

  1. Just think about it: after five months, two out of three words have been shortened to 1 and a fraction. This doesn't bode well. At that rate, within a year, you'd be talking one word every other day, and by your ten year anniversary...you'd be like every other married couple.
    No just kidding: that's my angst talking, not the hard, clear voice of reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm slightly concerned this is my father texting you. He communicates mostly in grunts and strange eye movements. Texting a simple "GM beautiful" might be considered a Shakespearean Soliloquy to him.

    ReplyDelete