Monday, January 11, 2010

Show Stopper

One Saturday afternoon I decided to go to the movies and catch a flick by myself. It's not something I enjoy doing alone, but new challenges were in order. I was chatting online with a guy and told him I wanted to see the new Michael Jackson movie - This is It! He indicated interest in seeing it as well. I told him he could join me if he wanted to and gave the time and location where I would be. He was reluctant to commit because he lived about a half hour from mye. He invited me to meet him half way at a theater in Southfield. I assured him that all was fine, I'd be going to the movie when and where I'd planned and would talk to him afterward. I called my girlfriend and invited her to go along with me, perhaps I didn't want to go alone after all huh? Just as Anna and I finalized those arrangements, he popped back up on the screen and asked what I was going to do. I told him my friend and I would be attending the 5:00 showing of the movie. "Uh," he wrote, "I wanted you to come this way so I could see it with you." I repeated that he was more than welcome to join us but I wasn't budging on when and where I'd be seeing the damn movie! He said he'd meet us there...Anna, this dude I've never met, and me at a movie - how cozy! We girlfriends arrived in time to find the perfect seats and to watch previews. Fifteen minutes into the movie, he texted that he was on his way. That was followed by a text confirming the location of the theater. Thirty minutes into the movie, he texted requesting that I meet him at the door. Now, I must explain something to you. This was a film about Michael Jackson (God rest his soul). Staring Michael Jackson (God rest his soul). With music performed by Michael Jackson (God rest his soul). I am a huge fan of Michael Jackson (God rest his soul). I WAS NOT MOVING A MUSCLE! Eventually, he found us, took a seat and proceeded to put his arm around me. As I lean in Anna's direction, I was thinking, "Dude, I haven't even seen your face, git your arm from around me!" Eventually, we were all comfortable and into the film. All of sudden, Michael started singing The Way You Make Me Feel. Do you know what this man did? Can you guess what he had the audacity to do during that hit song? He started popping his fingers and singing along. Yes, he did! I looked at him with my Jennifer look, you know the one, and said, shhhh, I'm listening to Mike right now. He kept on singing. Soon thereafter, I was excited to see the new additions to Thriller, but there was an added vocalist who was not on screen. He was sitting next to me. I turned and looked at him and said, "I paid to hear Michael sing, not you! So Hush!" This was as close as I'd ever get to a concert by this man, Michael, not the other guy. The rest of the evening was as awkward and laughable as the first half had been. When he asked if we could see each other again, I simply replied, BEAT IT!

2 comments:

  1. HILarious. I'm glad you can laugh about this horrible experience. Wow, the audacity. Every step of the way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just makes me feel so dirty. I feel like I need to go shower to scrub the socially awkward dirt off myself.

    ReplyDelete